In 28 years of practice, we have found property to be one of the most frequent reasons for our clients to go to trial, and almost every trial has involved at least a few issues of property division.
If trial is truly the best or only way for you to get justice, our office will fight for you, especially if there is an emergency situation such as depletion of assets. We will be as passionate and aggressive as you need us to be in court. However, we will make sure that you know what it will cost in terms of expenses, time, effort and all possible risks.
Telling Your Story
When it comes to settling your property issues, we will:
- Ensure that all assets that should be considered marital property are counted and any that should be excluded (such as gifts and inheritances) are set aside
- Be thorough in our appraisal of all assets, including the marital home, business interests, RRSPs and debts
- Hire professionals such as tax experts and business valuators to determine the value of your assets
- Make sure that if there are any issues of hiding or devaluing assets, these are taken into account
- Find a way to tell your story at trial, so that the court has sympathy for your position
- Show that we are reasonable, and are willing to compromise and give to the other side, as courts generally strive for reasonableness and the side that is more extreme will have a harder time convincing the court to find in their favour